Thursday, March 18, 2010

Hi Reader,
I'm reading the memoir "Eat, Pray, Love" by Elizabeth Gilbert for the second time, and I love it so much more this time around. I read it a few years back and really loved it then too, but I feel like I've become much more spiritually focused than I was back then, so the stories she tells touch me in a way I wasn't capable of feeling before.

As I was listening to the audio book, going through gorgeous Laurel Canyon on my way to work this morning, she was talking about a precocious little 8 year-old girl nicknamed "Tutti". Tutti was the daughter of a beautiful healer named Wayan whom the author had befriended in Bali. Tutti and her mother and her two adopted sisters lived in a tiny shopfront where Wayan made potions, and spells, and lunch for the local residents and tourists. Wayan was divorced (not common in Bali) and had no real home to speak of. Tutti who was outgoing and always smiling would constantly draw pictures of houses that she would someday live in.

One day Liz, the author, saw Tutti carrying around a small square of blue tile, she would close her eyes and meditate holding the tile, she would scoot the tile around on the floor and then sit upon the small tile grinning, off in her own little world. When Liz asked Wayan what the little girl was doing she replied something to the effect of 'Tutti is imagining her new house and that one day her whole floor would be made up of these beautiful little tiles'.

Not long after this, Wayan received a notice that her lease would be up soon and they were going to raise her rent. This would mean she would have to move again, and she couldn't afford to. Also, this meant her customers wouldn't be able to find her and her business would suffer even more than it had since the terrorist bombing 2 years earlier.

This touched Liz deeply and she was instantly inspired to go to the local Internet cafe and draft an email to her friends and family back home. She asked that instead of gifts for her approaching birthday, they make a donation to Wayan and her family's "new house fund". She explained to them in her lengthy email Wayan's whole story, about her divorce and the adopted children and that this woman had become like family to Liz. Within 7 days her family, friends, and friends of friends, people she'd never met had sent $18,000. And Tutti got her new home.

Liz recognized that Tutti had manifested all of this. Her smiling happy face so intently focused on every aspect of her beautiful house, yet still appreciative of her current situation. Her drawings of houses, her square piece of tile she loved so dearly, her smiling meditation, that is what created this. Nothing else.

As I was listening to this I suddenly wept with joy as I zoomed through Laurel Canyon so thrilled with the evidence of this Universal love and cooperation as evidenced by this little Balinese girl and the funny American on her spiritual journey.

Wayan was so struck by this news she was silent at first, and then said, "Liz, what if you had never come here? What would I have done?" Liz replied, "I was always coming here Wayan, I was never not coming here."


No comments:

Post a Comment